The primary purpose of this position is to plan and manage the Liquor Store so as to promote sales and achieve profit margins and labor goals. Emphasis in this position is ongoing planning, execution and evaluation in order to ensure maximum sales and profit opportunities, effective cost control efficient utilization of labor and strong customer service levels. This position monitors labor and productivity factors through efficient task organization and delegation. The Manager position requires the ability to provide employee training and development and encouragement toward achieving store objectives.
CORE FUNCTIONS OF POSITION
Store operations. Typical duties: determines staffing needs, prepares work schedules; establishes and implements work procedures and priorities, and recommends changes to policies; supervises staff including hiring and training employees; assigns work; prepares and conducts performance evaluations; handles employee problem solving issues; conducts staff training on store products, proper customer service skills and sales techniques; approves employee leave and payroll records; establishes procedures that comply with store policies and appropriate laws.
Inventory, sales and record-keeping . Typical duties: monitors sales and inventory trends to forecast sales and maintain adequate stock levels; works with sales representatives regarding product lines, space allocation and marketing of their products; monitors and evaluates cost effectiveness and efficiency of store operations; maintains and balances inventory records on a computerized point-of-sale system; ensures all established policies and procedures are adhered to for the accounting of cash sales; reviews and audits the handling of money to insure integrity in the exchange and deposit of money; assures deposits at the bank; prepares daily sales report; oversees in store merchandising such as layouts, promotions and displays; stocks merchandise in the retail area and maintains the overall appearance and cleanliness of the store; ensures proper codes are in the register and on the product; performs cash control duties through correct counting and verification of sales, deposit preparation, cash register set up and close out; prepares inventory reports, deposit records and cashier reports; conducts regular and/or spot check inventories of merchandise, supplies, or equipment; orders, receives, inspects, and store equipment, merchandise, commodities, materials, and/or supplies.
Customer service. Typical duties: provides customer service and specialized information regarding liquor products and laws, policies, and procedures governing liquor related issues; utilizes effective public relations to provide services; responds to inquiries; handles complaints or resolves problems for a diverse group of customers; assists customers in finding products, making selections, purchasing items; resolves potential confrontational issues when dealing with intoxicated individuals, shop lifters or those attempting to obtain liquor illegally.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Commitment to excellence in customer service.
- Natural leader with previous supervisory experience.
- At least 2-3 years of previous experience in a retail liquor store. (Exceptions can be made for the right individual).
- Knowledge of the retail liquor business, thorough product knowledge and merchandising skills, and must be able to make timely and effective decisions.
- Ability to apply state and federal laws to the sale of alcohol and tobacco.
- Possesses excellent time management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Good knowledge of cash control and inventory management in a retail environment.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with customers and all team members.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screening.
- Available to work days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Have reliable transportation and be dependable.
- Good oral and written communication.
- Above average computer proficiency.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.